5 Ways to Freshen Up for the Festive Season
Posted on Thursday, December 15 2016 10:52:00 PM in Blog by Ipsita Dasgupta
Have you been up to your neck with preparations for the coming influx of festivities?
This time of the year inevitably brings with itself a hustle and bustle of cleaning, decorating, shopping and, let’s face it, making a mark. That’s exactly what we’re helping you with, in the form of five easily doable and inexpensive ways to freshen up your household for the next two months with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year just around the corner.
Change the lighting
You will be surprised at how much of a difference light makes in a room. The different colours, the shades and filters that you use can have a huge impact in giving your living room a makeover.
A good replacement comes in the form of chandeliers, though it is a rather long process to decide what suits best for which room and its corresponding atmosphere. Try personalising chandeliers by adding tiny crystal drops, light filters or perhaps creating your own chandelier with a bunch of bulbs hanging from the ceiling in a creative pattern.
Get creative with photographs
Who doesn’t love to display photos of vacation and family gatherings and the enviable dinner table setting from last Thanksgiving? For those of you who are bored of looking at the same photos day after day and don’t have any new ones to put up, here are a few ways you can spruce up your wall without having to spend a penny.
- Rotate the pictures to suit your angles and see a whole world of difference!
- Reframe the existing pictures in interesting ways; leather, wood, glass frames- whatever suits your wall the best.
- Try arranging your photographs around a unique centrepiece, like a painting, or a piece of beautiful wallpaper framed with wood, or a clock.
- Create a photo collage on your wall in an interesting shape to bring some geometrical feel.
Get innovative with paint
Hold your horses, we do not mean “repaint the house”. A can of fresh wall paint, a brush and a daring mind is all you need. Select a wall or a section of the house you would like to redo, and look up texture patterns, abstract designs, modern art or if you have a penchant for the creative, a full-fledged painting. Don’t be afraid of trying out any ideas - you will always end up with a renovated look.
Bring in some aroma
Although it doesn’t sound much, aroma can change the whole atmosphere of your home in a jiffy.
- Soak a cotton ball in your preferred aroma oil - lavender, lemongrass, sandalwood, etc. and keep it in a corner or hang it up on the hallway key rack.
- Keep some potpourri in a wooden bowl on your coffee table or centre table for serving the purpose of a fragrant room as well as a decorative set-up.
- Light up a scented candle or some incense cones/sticks and put them up in a decorative sconce or incense holder.
Get some greens
The fastest yet most effective way of freshening up a room is to bring a few potted plants from your garden, inside. Pluck a few winter blooms and arrange them in a decorative flower vase, hand some leafy vines from the chandelier above or simply set up a mud-pot sapling in a few corners to get a rustic touch.